With Thanksgiving week upon us, I thought I would take the liberty to ask Warner Library staff and librarians what they are thankful for this year. Family, friends, good health, and jobs were some of the most popular responses. In particular, this year we have those who are thankful for a brand new roof over their head, our new library catalog system, windows getting painted, living in a safe country where there’s no threat of bombs, making it through another year, a trip to Scotland, and a working car.
What are you thankful for this year? Feel free to share it in a comment below.
Of course, Warner Library would like to wish the entire Eastern community a Happy Thanksgiving. May you cherish this time with family and friends, and enjoy all that delicious turkey! In the spirit of the holiday, I’ve compiled a few library resources relating to Thanksgiving.
- “Thanksgiving Day Proclamations by the President of United States of America” – features a select compilation of past and present presidential Thanksgiving Day proclamations
- Listen to Thanksgiving proclamations – at FreeAudio.org you can listen to three of the earliest Thanksgiving Day proclamations; from George Washington, William Bradford, and Abraham Lincoln
- “American as Pumpkin Pie: A History of Thanksgiving” – a Thanksgiving podcast from the podcast program Backstory; features historian James McWilliams; religion scholar Anne Blue Wills; an archeologist at Colonial Williamsburg; and legendary NFL quarterback Roger Staubach.
- The Pilgrim fathers : their church and colony
- Thanksgiving; feast and festival
Luckhardt, Mildred Corell.
- We gather together: the story of Thanksgiving
Linton, Ralph and Adelin
- Just say thanks