Wondering what to read this summer? Warner Library’s staff has some great summer reading picks!
Ellen Mergner, ILL Manager:
“If you are a mystery lover try any of the Stone Barrington novels by Stuart Woods. The summer will fly by.”
Fran Decker, Computer Services Librarian:
“Wonderful summer reading & listening pleasure —
- ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’, by Mary Ann Shaffer. Truly one of the most enjoyable novels I’ve encountered. Its style reminded me of Sara Gruen’s ‘Water for Elephants’ which was another absolutely stellar book.
- ‘Finding God Beyond Harvard’ was a behind the scenes look at the early days of the Veritas Forum that I enjoyed a great deal.
- John Grisham never gets old for me…. I loved ‘Testament’ , ‘The Broker’ and ‘The Painted House’
- And of course Khaled Hosseini’s ‘Kite Runner’ and ‘A Thousand Splendid Suns’ should not be missed. They give us insight into a society we can scarcely imagine.
My summer wish list includes ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ by Stieg Larsson, ‘The Notebook’ by Nicholas Sparks, ‘Ladies of Liberty’ Cokie Robert, ‘The Secret’ by Beverly Lewis, and ‘Liberty’ by Garrison Keillor.”
Joy Dlugosz, Reader Services Librarian:
- ‘Camel Club’ by David Baldacci
- ‘New York’ by Edward Rutherford
- ‘Winter Garden’ by Kristin Hannah
- Anything by Spencer Johnson
Andrea Reed, Media & Digital Services Librarian:
“I have such a long list of books I want to read this summer! My top picks would be–“
- ‘The Gun Seller’ by “House, M.D.” television star Hugh Laurie. Supposedly quite a witty spy novel.
- ‘The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise: A Victor Legris Mystery’ by Claude Izner. For those who like mystery novels seeped in historic settings.
- ‘A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life’ by Don Miller. I’ve been looking forward to his follow-up from ‘Blue Like Jazz’.
Mark Puterbaugh, Information Services Librarian:
- ‘The Buddha Eye’ edited by Frederick Franck
Jonathan Beasley, Technical Services Librarian:
“I have decided to read the first three [books in The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith] this summer (there are currently eleven books in the series).”
- ‘The No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency’
- ‘Tears of the Giraffe’
- ‘Morality for Beautiful Girls’
Jim Sauer, Director of the Library:
- ‘Book of Literary Lists’ by Nicholas Parsons
- ‘Poems from the Old English’ translated by Burton Raffel
Ted Merriman, Library Aide:
- ‘The Heritage Guide to the Constitution’ by Edwin Meese, Matthew Spalding, David F. Forte
- ‘Orkneyinga Saga’ by Anonymous, Hermann Palsson, and Paul Edwards
- ‘The Pursuit of God’ by A.W. Tozer
What are your summer reading picks? Share your suggestions in a comment below. We love to learn about new titles!
Photo credit: Photo taken by Burnt Pixel and is transmitted here according to Creative Commons-Attribution-Non-Commercial-NoDervis license