For the past two years, Warner Library subscribed to AP Images. This database contained images from professional photographers who belong to the Associate Press. Images found in AP Images were great for visually illustrating current events in the news as well as past events.
This year, we decided to discontinue our subscription to AP Images and instead try a different image database- Image Quest. Image Quest is a product of Encyclopedia Britannica. The images available in Image Quest cover a wide breadth of subjects from medical to theater to architecture.
- Images from 53 of the best collections: Corbis, Dorling Kindersley Images, Getty Images, the National Portrait Gallery of London, the National Geographic Society, Oxford Scientific and more
- Currently Over 2,000,000 images with plans to add many more
- Students can use the site for coursework
- Organized by subject matter; fully searchable
- All images are rights-cleared for non-commercial, educational use
- Images can be downloaded, printed, saved in a “Lightbox” (or virtual folder) OR emailed as jpegs or gifs
- Each photo or illustration comes with complete metadata, including the source, the copyright holder, caption and keywords.
If you are on campus, visit our Databases page, and scroll down to Image Quest to try it today. Off-campus? We’re currently working on adding it to Athens and hope to have it available by month’s end.
So next time you need to find an image of something, don’t Google it! Try out our new Image Quest database!